Re: Topband: DX Engineering NCC-1 phase controller

To: Rune Øye <runeegil@hotmail.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Engineering NCC-1 phase controller
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 08:09:43 -0800

On 12/19/2015 11:46 PM, Rune Øye wrote:
 a NCC-1 from Dx Engeneering. My plan is to use this
 with my SAL30  RX array on antenna port A and

73 Rune LA7THA

This isn't an answer to your question, but a
more straightforward way to accomplish what I
think you are trying to do would be to make an
array of two loops, where the azimuth of the
individual loops can be chosen so that they
null out the single point noise source that
you are trying to null out with the NCC-1.
The azimuth of the array can then be chosen
to enhance in the direction of the signal you
want to receive.  IOW, the orientation of
the loops is independent of the orientation
of the array.

The trouble with the SAL is that the null
of the loops is always at a 90 degree angle
to the angle of reception.  You can't choose
the angle.  The other trouble with the SAL
is that the spacing between the loops is
always very small, and you can't choose that
either.  If you increase the spacing, it
isn't a SAL any more, it's just ordinary loops
in phase.

Rick N6RK