Re: Topband: fixing beverage

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: fixing beverage
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 19:08:03 -0800
On Tue,11/24/2015 5:56 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:
Factually, the little bumps or even big bumps on VHF are meaningless for active problems on lower frequencies. They might predict a future issue, but on 160 meters even crushing a cable flat for five feet would be meaningless for receive loss unless the center actually contacted the shield.

Factually, that is not good analysis. One can use any measurement tool in multiple ways. If, for example, one is searching for tiny holes the outer diectric that are letting in water, we must look at the higher frequencies to see that level of detail. We're not looking for SWR or loss, we're looking for some sort of mechanical defect that degrades the cable.