Re: Topband: G5RV Conversion For 160M Use

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: G5RV Conversion For 160M Use
From: "Keith Jillings (G3OIT)" <g3oit.keith@jillings.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 18:53:24 +0100
On 07/06/2015 17:54, Jim Murray via Topband wrote:
> I have a 204' (double) G5RV I'm contemplating "strapping" for use on 160M. It presently has 65' of 450 ohm ladder line and 70' of RG8X with a 20' choke in the coax.It's configured as a flat top, approx. 60' on each end and 50' at the middle, fed into a big old Dentron Super Super tuner in the shack. On line I find several methods such as the link below but would appreciate any suggestions to get it right considering it's unusual size.Thanks,Jim - k2hnhttp://www.ke9ns.com/images/g5rv.png

If it's a "double size", won't it tune on 160 as-is? I have a standard G5RV that works well on all bands 80 - 10.

There's one difference with mine: the ladder line comes all the way into the shack, and it's matched there with a parallel tuner. It works a lot better that way than it did with the coax attached.

I strap the feeders and tune against ground on 160. It's not as good as I'd like, but it's easy for an old man

73

Keith G3OIT