Re: Topband: Remote now DXCC??

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Remote now DXCC??
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 16:31:08 -0500
It's not that my opinion really matters to anyone but me. I was
thinking more that right or wrong, somebody somewhere will do wrong.
I wasn't thinking as much along the lines of the complaining not
helping (which it doesn't).

For instance: In my garage I have a tool, a 9 pound sledge hammer
that belonged to my grandfather. One solid whack with it and a lot of
force is imparted to a very tiny area and things always either break
or move. I suppose there's all kinds of bad things I could do with it
but I use it to break up the rocks the glacier left on what is now my
yard so I can mow over rather than around them.

The analogy to me is if a person has a tool they either use it
properly or improperly and that's up to the person holding the
sledge.

RHR doesn't make an operation immoral any more than making an ATNO
DXCC contact while mobile in a different state than you live is
immoral to claim for DXCC credit. To me and apparently to many, it's
not where the operator sits, its where the transmitter sits. As to
people breaking the rules; cops give out tickets every day. A tool
does not a problem make.

73,

Gary,
KA1J

> Yes you are probably right that protesting won't change a thing.  But should
> that mean that when something negative like this happens, that voicing an
> objection is not considered?  Should we just shrug and say 'whatever'.  Some
> do say whatever.  Yes cheating has been around for some time.  The question
> is where do you set your standards?  High or low.  Yes it is just a hobby,
> but how it plays affects us in other ways.
> Doug

---