Re: Topband: Rules vs. Ethics (was Brave New World)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Rules vs. Ethics (was Brave New World)
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 10:49:20 -0800
Larry, you hit upon a very important point regarding ethical lapses not being entirely victimless. Personally, I feel very strongly that when I send a QSL to someone it should indicate the state, county, and grid square where my station was located at the time of the contact. If my QSL or LOTW confirmation says I was in Los Angeles County, I better have been in Los Angeles County so that the recipient of my QSL has a valid confirmation of a QSO with Los Angeles County. I've done several portable operations and guest operator stints over the past ten years, and I have gone to great pains to make sure I provided accurate confirmations for those operations. This required creating different location signatures in LOTW and keeping track of which QSOs go with which locations. Same thing for physical QSLs. It would have been a lot less work to use the same QSL data for all my contacts, but that would have meant sending out QSL cards or LOTW confirmations with bogus location data. I thought about taking the easy road, but that would have really bothered me. I wouldn't want a county hunter to get a card from me that says Los Angeles County when in fact I was in Riverside County when I made the QSO. The same things applies to CQ Zone or State.

If someone is using a remote station, I think they have an ethical responsibility to provide confirmations which reflect the location of their transmitter at the time of the contact. If they want to use remotes all over the country to work their DXCC awards, that is there business, I don't really care. If on the other hand I got a card from a guy in Alabama that I needed for some award (e.g. 5BWAS) only to find out later that although he was physically located in Alabama, he was actually using a remote transmitter located in Utah when he worked me, I would be very upset.

BTW, full disclosure, I use an internet remote HF station. It has been a lot of fun building up the station and then remoting the equipment. It allows me to live in this horrible radio location shadowed by tall mountains but with a short commute to work while at the same time enjoying a decent radio QTH (flat terrain and room for antennas) without having to drive 2 hours round trip every time I want to use it. Of course, both my home QTH and the remote QTH are in the same county and grid square, so there are no worries about having multiple QSLs to keep track of.

73, Mike W4EF........

f someone wants to