Re: Topband: Brave New World

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Brave New World
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 12:22:53 -0800
On Thu,2/26/2015 11:59 AM, kolson@rcn.com wrote:
What's sad in my view, is that in my M/M and M/S experiences, one of the
greatest parts was getting together with the ops I was friends with that, due
to time, distance or both, I didn't get to see much. The contest was fun, but
the comradery was even more so. Just like when you ask most retired Major
League players what they miss most, it is the locker room and their
ex-teammates.

I agree with that, BUT -- as we get older, move about, have reduced financial resources due to retirement, getting together becomes increasingly difficult. The only reason I go to Dayton and Visalia is to hang out with the guys I've been working on the air for years (and in some cases, since I was a kid).

FWIW, during the years I operated at N6RO, there was precious little time to hang out. Everyone's butt was either in the chair or in the sack. The team efforts I've enjoyed were for serious multi-transmitter field setups, like Field Day and county expeditions for the California QSO Party.

73, Jim K9YC