Re: Topband: Modeling "Ground"

To: shristov <shristov@ptt.rs>
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling "Ground"
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 13:35:08 -0500
Let's hypothetically suppose the tuning is not there. Then the program
itself is just flat wrong and miscalculating in some areas. I'd far rather
blame it on tuning than mis-coding. It really works quite well INSIDE the
commercial broadcast paradigm, with a gradual increase in error with a
gradual departure from the paradigm.

Once I knew the tuning was there, it was all I needed to know.

The real solution is calculation of current and loss in each of a matrix of
ground nodes, essentially like wires, which could not be done because of n
to the fourth run time issues. Basically that was treating each ground node
as a complex wire conductor, with the ability to provide data for nodes
that were non-uniform. Anything less than that is an approximation, an
approximation that requires uniformity in reality for unqualified validity.

To be fair, I use NEC4 in the EZNEC Pro shell. It's my main tool for such
things. But I am very clear about what it DOES do precisely and DOES NOT.

In GPS calculation of ground travel distances based on two coordinates, the
distance MUST be an approximation unless the ground is level all the way.
Otherwise climbing and descent add increments to distances that can't be
calculated by a very precise method for flat terrain all the way. So
outside the paradigm of flat terrain, the GPS calculations are an
approximation of on-the-ground distances. Sound familiar?

With NEC the problem is the mindless use of the method outside of the
paradigm it was designed/tuned for.

73, Guy.