Re: Topband: [Bulk] Re: Out-of-Turn Callers

To: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [Bulk] Re: Out-of-Turn Callers
From: "Milt -- N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 07:38:14 -0700
Herb,

That is NOT the case. I sat here with the K1N transmissions in one ear and the requested JA call-in frequency playing in the other ear.

There were at a minimum 20 JA stations calling. They were hearing K1N well enough that their transmissions were right in step with K1N.

I personally heard 2 separate complete Qs between K1N and JA stations.

I personally heard K1N get partials on two or three other JA stations but was unable to complete the contacts.

It was during this period of time that the K1N operator specifically asked the aforementioned station, by call sign prefix, to PSE STDBY FOR JA.

As for a significant JA opening; IMHO any opening is significant for the DX operator AND the folks at the other end of a difficult path. I am positive the K1N operators feel the same. That is what Topband is all about.

I know, because I was in that position at XZ1N, XZ0A, and VP6DX. It doesn't matter if it is only one or two stations that make it. The effort is expended and the reward is highly prized. That is why the DXpedition is there. Instead of putting 5 or 6 call signs in the log, the rate drops to one every 3-4-5 minutes as necessary. That is what makes a Topband DXpedition successful.

IMHO possibly 2-3 contacts, perhaps more, with JA were interrupted by the deliberate refusal to standby.

Additionally, without the benefit of staying on Navassa for a full lunar cycle the odds of getting a true -- SIGNIFICANT -- opening to JA and the deep Pacific are only about 30%. Every single opportunity to put a few JA and other Asians in the log must be exploited to the max. That is what the K1N operator was attempting to do.

Again, my experience at XZ0A shows how important this SOP should be for DX operators. We spent 4 weeks on the island and it was the VERY LAST NIGHT that finally produced the magnificent opening to North America.

In this case with K1N, the NA stations are going to have a great opportunity EVERY NIGHT!!!!! There is not, and there was not, any need for the action that took place yesterday morning.

73 for now de Milt, N5IA

-----Original Message----- From: Herbert Schoenbohm