Re: Topband: Out-of-Turn Callers

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Out-of-Turn Callers
From: Greg Wilson <n4cc@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 16:01:26 -0500
Can't resist adding my two cents...It's not up to KK6ZM to decide that K1N is not hearing JA's and so decide that it is OK to call; that just creates confusion and animosity from those who have the will power to stand by. It's up to K1N to change the protocol from "JA only" to "anyone". I don't know if K1N did that this morning or not because I was not listening. There may have been a JA who was going to "peak" into K1N's receiver but was missed because of KK6ZM. How many times have we worked someone on 160 during a "2 minute opening". K1N did put some JA's in the log this morning so KK6ZM shouldn't assume that he wasn't going to hear more even if it took several standby's with no copy.

The K1N team has a lot of top ops there. They know better than to disregard their own instructions. If they did, it was their mistake. If they opened it up and KK6ZM just didn't hear them do it (maybe because he was calling instead of listening?) then he is the one to blame.

I have no bone to pick with KK6ZM. It is unfortunate for him that he was singled out...He may be a fine op otherwise -- but I wish everyone would follow the DXpedition instruction and not try to manufacture their own "rules" for when to call. It's not consistent with the DX Code. While I understand the frustration, I also understand how difficult it must be for the JA's to have their short window of opportunity...just like the U.S. was frustrated with the short window to EP6T. If more people had been quiet while they tried to work someone, more would have gotten through. We've got to discourage people from the incessant calling.

None of us is perfect and so we make mistakes from time to time, especially when stations are weak and "in and out" of the noise. We all "understand" that. But there is no good excuse for calling when you are hearing well and know full well that you are not the one whom the DX is trying to answer.

I guess that may have been 3 cents worth instead of 2...

73, Greg-N4CC