Re: Topband: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule
From: "Joel Harrison" <w5zn@w5zn.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 09:28:54 -0600
This is starting to become very amusing to me.

All the Contest folks are telling the DX'er they are over reacting and
becoming emotional on remote operation, and they should just calm down and
enjoy radio....."Live and Let Live, eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow
you may die"

But those same folks, when it comes to contesting, are saying "HELL NOT WE
WON'T GO!!"

So now what's the difference??? NOTHING!!!  Just don't pee in my swimming
pool and I'm happy.

Interesting.....or as Mr. Spock would say "FASCINATING!"

73 Joel W5ZN

> DXCC is a joke for many.  At one time it was fun to chase DX, listen for
hours to work a new one and perhaps compare with locals in a friendly
competition.  With Internet spotting and the ability to operate from
anywhere in the country using a remote site, it has long since become
meaningless on 160m.  I would have appreciated the dedication if K7TJR,
for example, worked the EP6T station from his own station in Oregon and
thought "so what" if I heard that WB6XXX had worked him using RHR's W8JI
site.
> However, I disagree regarding contests.  To say that you should not
worry
> about someone making 50 more contacts in a contest is to say that the
competition (the very essence of a contest) is unimportant and that it
is
> also a joke.
> Regarding working the band out...that is true for USA contacts.  It's
absolutely not true for working the important stuff (Europe) during the
available openings.
> It will be soon enough that we will be having the conversation about not
only remote operation but robotic QSO making software.  In the meantime,
if the only way someone can get on at all (in a rest home, for example)
is
> to operate a remote site, I'm all for it.  The impact on contest results
would be minimal, if there even is an impact.
> At the point in time when the only way one could possibly compete would
be
> to have multiple sites and an Internet connection, the thrill is gone
for
> me.
> Is is really and truly a RADIO CONTEST if you cannot possibly make a
"radio" QSO without using the Internet?  I know some people who I
actually
> think believe what we are doing in these reflectors is radio...  (I
already know all the justifications comparing the WWW communications
system to a six foot headphone cable located at your own station.). What
do you think?

www.w5zn.org