Re: Topband: Restistance of wire

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Restistance of wire
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 14:20:17 -0600
One thing that would affect RF conductor resistance is the paramagnetic
properties of the conductor. If, for example, it was bare iron or magnetic
steel wire, then we would have eddy current losses. And those losses could
very well be much larger than the ohmic losses measured at DC.

The wire should be non-magnetic; if it IS magnetic, then it needs to be
plated with a sufficiently thick non-magnetic material or the losses could
be quite high. Owen Duffy (ex- VK1OD) nicely explained this some time ago
on his old web site. (His new site is owenduffy.net).

Exactly how magnetic wire would affect a Beverage antenna, I'll leave for
others to expound on.  Or measure. :-)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com