Re: Topband: Broadband Inverted L

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Broadband Inverted L
From: Joe Galicic <galicic@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 20:22:27 +0000 (UTC)
Update --

I've added 13 radials to my new L over last weekend. Ranging from 30 to 65
feet. Also connected radials to old radial field. New radials run over top of
old the ones. Due to antenna placement and neighbors I can only run radials 90
degrees from the antenna base. Cant run radials 360 degrees. No matter how much
I try to tune the radiator wire the SWR remains the same at 2.1-1.7
(1.8-2.0MHZ). I think the tree is causing that. The wire runs directly up the
center of the tree and out over the top branches. It's #14 stranded wire with
jacket. The antenna is probably still very inefficient?

I now notice much better receive and transmit performance than before. Before I
added the radials the old L was louder in certain directions. That's not the
case any more. The new L is louder now regardless of direction. So I'm heading
in the right direction. I was able to work 3 new DX entities on 160 including
Italy with only 100 watts CW. The DX was about 1-2 S units louder on the new L.

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions !! It's not easy trying to put up an
efficient antenna for 160 on a small lot !

Joe