Re: Topband: Anyone using WSPR or WSPR-X?

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Anyone using WSPR or WSPR-X?
From: Larry <larry@w7iuv.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 10:57:11 -0700
Jim,

Participation varies. At the moment there are more active WSPR stations on 630 meters than on 160! But as we roll into winter there will more show up. It is important to remember that this is a long term project, I.E. you need to set up and monitor for hours, days, even weeks to really get a feel for activity as many only use the system for a few hours at a time.

You are correct in that a "critical mass" is important but it turns out that fewer stations than you might expect are needed to obtain useful data.

The most important thing to remember is that you absolutely need a second station as a partner in order to eliminate propagation effects. Otherwise you are not comparing two antennas, but just sampling prop.

The other thing to remember is that you need a statistically significant number of data points which will require a minimum of three days/nights to a week of sampling.

Larry - W7IUV / WH2XGP