Re: Topband: Using 80m 1/4 vertical on 160

To: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>, jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Using 80m 1/4 vertical on 160
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 08:55:35 -0700

I though about using relays to switch in/out the top loading wires for
160m, but computed the voltage to be over 10 KV. Vacuum relays to handle
that voltage are very expensive. Then there is the issue of protecting them
from harsh WX.

Ray,
N6VR

I tried vacuum relays and they seemed to fail after
around 6 months.  After replacing them 4 or 5 times,
I changed to using a big contactor, modified as
described in QST May 2009, page 66 to increase the
voltage handling.  My modified relay has now been going strong
for 5 years without a problem.  It is mounted in a
plastic box to protect it from the weather.

Rick N6RK