Re: Topband: Anyone purchased the ARRL book on Short Antennas for 160???

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Anyone purchased the ARRL book on Short Antennas for 160???
From: Robert Briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 16:55:21 +1100
I will have to put that book on my wish list..I have been using a short 43 foot high vertical antenna for quite a few years now...It is based on the Minooka design, A spoked Top Hat with a Loading coil just below the Hat..I use another inductor series to ground to resonate the antenna and match into 50 ohms...Bottom coil is 10 turns of 5/8 dia copper tube 1TPI...The Heliax LDF 4/50 is tapped in about 2 turns up from ground and the mast tapped down a couple of turns to resonate the antenna around 1.825mhz..There are around 40 150 foot and random length radials pinned to the ground..

I have used this antenna for many years now very successfully..As I only operate CW the narrow 2-1 vswr points give me about 25khz of operating bandwidth..I have an inverted V on an 85 foot mast and the short vertical is 3-8db better on long haul DX average..I only use the V for receive..

Short verticals work surprisingly well if one puts some thought into it's construction...

Bob..VK3ZL..