Topband: Insulator problems

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Insulator problems
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 15:19:54 +1300
The Tx antenna I have been using very successfully for the last 8+ years, is a top-fed vertical. This feed arrangement requires the yagi used for top loading to be insulated from the mast. I have been using a nylon insert between the two halves of the stub mast as my insulator. This morning I noticed high SWR, firstly only on high power, but then at any power level.

Today I brought the mast down for inspection, and the only sign of trouble I can see is in the insulator, which has bubbled visibly. This may (or may not) be the problem, but I propose to change the insulator even if only to eliminate it as the culprit. I have a couple of questions for this group.

1) Does anyone know if I can upload a jpg file to contesting.com, so that guys can see what I am talking about? Tree, I guess I can't attach a photo to a post to the group? 2) I always thought that nylon was a pretty good dielectric, and did not expect problems, especially at 1.8 MHz. The gap in the insulator is 7.5mm, or about 0.3". I estimate that there will be around 2 kV across this gap. Is nylon perhaps not as good as I thought it was? 3) If I replace the nylon with Teflon, will I lose anything in mechanical strength?

Unfortunately this problem means that I will not be able to enter the Stew. We are going away for a week for the festive season, next weekend, so won't have time to fix the issue.

Comments welcome.

73, Greg, ZL3IX