Re: Topband: Wideband interference

To: "Barry N1EU" <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>, "topBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Wideband interference
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:42:22 -0500
I've had many helpful private emails from folks who've seen/listened to
what I posted.  An RFI occurrence may or may not have a characteristic
fingerprint, but you're not going to know unless you ask around or search
the Web for a similar recording.  If someone posted a recording of
interference similar to what I've personally identified in the past, I
could certainly respond with my past findings and potentially help them.

That's correct. Some signatures are easily identifiable as a source type. Some are not. If I were to guess, probably well over half are identifiable by characteristics as a likely source type. That still leaves many that are not.

You have to put yourself in an open frame of mind and consider everything.

Electric fences are easy as a group and type. Power lines are easy as a group and general type. Fish tanks or other things with thermostats are easy as a group containing thermostats. Switching power supplies are easy as a broad group.

Your noise appears to be on where people might be up and around, rather than on like clockwork as a certain outdoor light level. I'd rule an outdoor light out right away based on the times and the changing tone. It does not appear to be laundry or cooking related, based on time, duration, and changing sound. It does not appear to be home indoor light related because it is not steady sound when on. It doesn't cycle off and on with a period like a thermostat, so that rules out many things. It doesn't sound like a battery charger.

The noise I listened to did NOT appear to be periodic in change, but a randomly changing frequency pitch for variable periods. This potentially indicates a load changing on something randomly over short periods, something used when people are likely to be up, but off when they are gone or doing something else. TV sets and video systems change supply loads like that, and fit the pattern. It might be something else, but lots of things can be ruled out based on the sound.

For me, it does help to have some idea what it might NOT be. That way I can drive past things I know it absolutely cannot be. Whatever it is, as Jim suggested, you will eventually have to DF it and then walk or drive that direction and find it. That is what ultimately matters.

73, Tom