Re: Topband: Wideband interference

Subject: Re: Topband: Wideband interference
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:29:56 -0500
I think Jim and Barry both have valid points. Let me attempt to throw some perspective on it.

For a ham faced with going out in the bitter cold to hunt down RFI, getting input and advice from others who have found the source of noise with similar sound or spectrum plots can help narrow down the likely source and save time in the field. There's certainly nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand, if a ham approaches a professional working for a utility company (or whatever) about their RFI and says they believe it is coming from such and such a device based on the sound and spectrum plots, it may have a detrimental affect on the professional's estimate of the ham's approach and claims. It may affect their response to the problem. This isn't always going to be the case, of course, but it certainly can't hurt if the ham has already done some footwork to identify the source in a manner consistent with how it is done in professional circles. You want to make the best first impression you possibly can.

The other issue that often comes up with hams is not having the portable equipment to track down a source, and budget concerns related to acquiring it. As a ham on a fixed income and extremely tight budget, I get this. I also get that there will be some reading this who are thinking I've got no clue whatsoever what a tight budget is. :-) That was me for many years. When I really started looking into cleaning up my RF environment, I realized the DF equipment had to be a priority, even though it meant downsizing my ham station and/or not replacing some gear that is badly outdated or on it last legs. I now consider the DF and RFI hunting equipment to be vital tools for survival in the modern RF jungle.

I am personally experiencing a strong topband RFI issue that I haven't gone out to find. It will require a three mile walk with the relatively heavy and bulky DF equipment just to get to the likely source area, some walking to find it, and a three mile walk home after! In Maine that is brutal this time of year. On the other hand, even if I become 95% certain I knew what it is, I won't be calling a utility or other business/professional to report my RFI until I have been out to DF it myself. First impressions can be everything.

This is just my opinion, of course.

73

--
Paul Kelley, N1BUG