Re: Topband: FCP Folded Counterpoise

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP Folded Counterpoise
From: Jim Bennett <w6jhb@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:20:34 -0700
Mike - FWIW - I had a two tuned-radial 80 meter Inverted L hung in one of our
redwood trees. Replaced it with an FCP and my bandwidth was almost the same.
Quite happy with the FCP at this QTH. We aren't supposed to have any ham
antennas outside, but being able to string the FCP towards the top of the fence
line, and only a bit longer than 30 feet has made my 80 meter operating lots
more interesting.

Jim / W6JHB

On   Monday, Oct 28, 2013, at  Monday, 10:15 AM, Mike Waters wrote:

> I think I see why you said what you did, Tom. If we replace the two
> elevated radials under our inverted-L with an FCP, and the bandwidth gets a
> little narrower, then yes, that doesn't prove that we've improved the
> efficiency. Only FS measurements will, unless I've forgotten something
> (again).
>
> In most cases on this reflector, an earth radial system is being discussed,
> and the quoted statement made to me off-list is generally true. But you
> knew that. :-)
>
> I thought I remembered reading a comparison between what I have (a 155'
> inverted-L with the vertical portion 55' high and two 10' high 1/4 wave
> radials) and someone who replaced their radials with an FCP. I remember
> thinking that the resulting reduced bandwidth is too narrow for my
> interests.
>
> Maybe someone can refresh my memory.
>
> 73, Mike
> www.w0btu.com