Re: Topband: FCP Folded Counterpoise

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP Folded Counterpoise
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 12:56:32 -0400
Thanks, but I realized that. I was just curious, because somewhere I read
that the FCP had a slightly narrower bandwidth than a couple of elevated
radials.

Mike, The wider the bandwidth the less effective the antenna is. A good
xmit antenna on 160 may have a 2:1 VSWR range
of perhaps 30 to 40 KHz.

Actually, that statement isn't true at all. That claim is a complete misstatement of rules. I'm surprised anyone repeats it or believes it.

Bandwidth by itself has nothing to do with efficiency or gain. We can have antennas 5 kHz wide that have less than 1% efficiency, and antennas 500 kHz wide that are nearly 100% efficiency.

As a matter of fact, as a ground systems get better, it is entirely possible for the same antenna to have more bandwidth. It is, of course, possible to do the opposite.

Why focus on something meaningless, other than describing bandwidth as an operating convenience?

73 Tom
Topband Reflector