Re: Topband: Height of antenna and takoff angle - Titan II site 571-5

To: Charlie Cunningham <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Height of antenna and takoff angle - Titan II site 571-5
From: Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 10:17:09 -0700
Rick and all,
That is exactly right.  It is a very wideband vertical.  If you look at the
vertical radiation pattern at various frequencies throughout its range, you
will note that it is a low angle radiator (just like a normal vertical) and
that at some freqs it is a bit higher angle radiator..... But it is a decent
antenna.  The military has used them extensively over the years (which is where
I was originally exposed to them).  No, it isn't a magic antenna by any means
and no, it won't make you the loudest signal on the band (it has no real gain),
BUT if you build it right it can put out a good signal almost everywhere you
might want to go  :) :)  For those who can only put up ONE antenna and who want
to operate everywhere, it is hard to beat.  For one thing, there are no lossy
traps involved like there are on most multi-band verticals...... and THAT is a
pretty big deal, actually.  I have used them in the past, when I was stationed
in a place where a single antenna was all that was all
 owed..... it worked great and I was never left wanting "something else" under
those circumstances :)

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

On Jul 28, 2013, at 8:34, "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
wrote:

> I expect that the main advantage of a discone antenna is bandwidth.
>
> Charlie, K4OTV

Topband Reflector