Re: Topband: 160M Rhombics

To: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M Rhombics
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 20:33:20 -0400
W0AIH has a Rhombic, and it is pretty amazing.  Mostly used on 20.
Its quieter than the stack, and its louder.  Steerable, but NOT
rotateable :-)

Installing one is NOT a simple task.  Took Paul a few tries to figure
out how to hang it.  Its up about 100 feet, and requires a significant
amount of real estate.  I could not imaging what it would take to make
one for 160, buts its a safe bet that a 4-square will be a lot easier
to install/require less real estate.  Paul has a 4-square for 160
among other antennas for Topband.

Tom - VE3CX

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Shoppa, Tim <tshoppa@wmata.com> wrote:
> Anybody on this list have a Rhombic for 160M?
>
> W1AW used to use one for bulletins and code practice on 160M but I think it
> came down years ago (1989?)
>
> I seem to recall pics in CQ of a big California desert DX'er who had what was
> essentially a radial array of rhombics for maybe 160M or 80M.
>
> Tim N3QE

>>> L=1.970  X1=21
>>> r=41 x=21 swr 1.6
>>>
>>> So this is what the antenna is giving me at this moment. I need to
>>> get back down and add the broken wire to the radial bed and I should
>>> also trim some length to bring my values to 1.1 at 1.025MHz.
>>>
>>> Given the info above from the MFJ 259B any idea how much I might
>>> nibble off and more, is there anything in this info that tells me I
>>> should look to do anything differently?
>>>
>>> Hopefully the coax loss will be mitigated by a friend bringing me
>>> 350' of hardline. Can't wait!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Gary
>>> KA1J