Re: Topband: Somebody mentioned Quads

To: <donovanf@starpower.net>, "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Somebody mentioned Quads
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 20:37:25 -0400
All true!

Charlie, K4OTV

-----Original Message-----
From: Topband [mailto:topband-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of
donovanf@starpower.net
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 8:13 PM
To: topband
Cc: herbs@vitelcom.net

Hi Herb,

Dielectric loading causes insulated wire to have a lower velocity factor
than bare wire.
The velocity factor of your particular wire can be determined
experimentally.

This is exactly the same as the dielectric loading that occurs when ice
covers
our quads and Yagis (I sure you're forgotten about that in the Virgin
Islands!) .
Ice increases the VSWR and in extreme cases reverses the directivity of a
Yagi.
This is exactly the same as what you're experiencing with insulated wire.

All of the loops (reflectors, driven elements, directors) in your quad are
now resonant
at a significantly lower frequency than intended. As far as I know, the only
was to
solve your problem is to shorten all of the wires or replace them with bare
wires.

73
Frank
W3LPL