Re: Topband: 160M Rhombics

To: ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M Rhombics
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 15:42:19 -0500
Carl, I based what I said partly on your statements at
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?297870-How-to-design-rhombic-antenna .

Looking back at that page, I see that perhaps I misunderstood your
statements there.

Look at the photos of his shack. If he wasn't running a lot of power, you
would never know that from the size of the antenna switches, feedline,
standoff insulators, etc.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM, ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:

> That excuse doesnt cut it Mike and from what I was told by those who were
> there his power would be considered pretty normal these days. You can only
> get so much out of a pair of 450TL's, 4-1000A's, etc.
>
> Some on here that you seem to look up to run more than that.
>
> OTOH you completely discounted Dons LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.
>
> Carl
> KM1H
>

>  There were a lot of tall tales told about W6AM's rhombics. Don't base a
>> desire to have a rhombic on those fables.
>>
>> And that's where the term "California Kilowatt" came from. I'm told his
>> rhombics were loud mostly for that reason. I forget what tubes were in his
>> amp, but they sure weren't 6V6s. ;-)
>>
>> 73, Mike
>> www.w0btu.com
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM, HAROLD SMITH JR <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  Years ago, W6AM had a "Rhombic Farm" near San Francisco.

Topband Reflector