Re: Topband: Measured RG-6 Loss: Solid Copper vs. Copper Clad center con

To: <donovanf@starpower.net>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Measured RG-6 Loss: Solid Copper vs. Copper Clad center conductor
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:37:46 -0500
Its easy to use an MFJ-259 to quickly check cable loss, using its cable loss mode. Its more accurate if you build or purchase a simple 50:75 ohm broadband matching transformer.

The 259B uses 1/2 of open circuited return loss as transmission loss. This only works if the line impedance matches the bridge impedance of the 259, so it only works with 50 ohm lines.

75 ohm lines would need to be measured some other way. I have my network analyzer set up to output files now, and eventually plan on measurements. I'm too busy with work now, but someday in the not too distant future I want to do that project.

I ran several tests, and the network analyzer (a real one, not a $500 one) is by far the most accurate method and fairly easy to get data into spreadsheets for processing.

73 Tom
Topband Reflector