Re: Topband: Measured RG-6 Loss: Solid Copper vs. Copper Clad center con

To: "Merv Schweigert" <k9fd@flex.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Measured RG-6 Loss: Solid Copper vs. Copper Clad center conductor
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 09:21:56 -0500
Commscope, Times and what ever else quality distributors such as Tessco carry are what I suggest.
Also see about buying from the local CATV installation contractors.

Carl
KM1H

I have been watching this thread with interest,  I am preparing to put up a
receive array and it will have to be some distance from the shack.
Is there a brand of RG-6 that someone has tried that is recommended?
Or some idea of a good name to look for.
Shipping to Molokai is more than 1000ft of coax costs, so need to make
the right choice the first time.
Not sure at this point of exact feedline length but will be more than 1000 ft.
I see commscope RG-6 burial type orange on Ebay,  anyone tested that and
is commscope decent material?    I will have to bury it due to mongoose
chewing on most anything laying on the ground,  they chewed through teflon
coated wires for beverages that laid on the ground overnite before getting
erected.
Thanks  73 Merv K9FD/KH6

Several topbanders asked if I would measure the DC resistance of the solid copper and copper clad steel center conductors of the RG-6 coax for which I published the RF loss measurements. I also measured the quad-shield DC resistance, both cables measured the same.

Here are my measurement results:

Solid copper:       0.6 ohms per 100 feet
Copper clad steel:  1.9 ohms per 100 feet
Quad shield:        0.3 ohms per 100 feet

It appears that copper clad steel RG-6 is a good choice for remote powered preamps and relays except for very long cable runs.

When using a remotely powered device its extremely important to prevent even the slightest moisture entry. RG-6 compression connectors are NOT waterproofed at the threaded end of the connector, additional waterproofing is absolutely essential.

The Thomas & Betts NS500 Nut Seal costs only a few cents and it very effectively waterproofs the connector threads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LRC-AUGAT-THOMAS-BETTS-NS-500-NUT-SEAL-50-LOT-/160703026841

The inside of the connector should be stuffed with STUF Di-Electric Filler to prevent moisture accumulation from condensation. The finished connection should first be wrapped with electrical tape, then a final layer of waterproofing should be applied such as Coax-Seal moldable tape.

73
Frank
W3LPL