Re: Topband: Need help to improve DX on 1/2 acre lot from CA

To: <k7xq@elite.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Need help to improve DX on 1/2 acre lot from CA
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 07:21:16 -0500
I live in the central valley of California which is only about 300 feet ASL.
I do not live near the coast
nor live in the "high desert ".

Height above sea level doesn't matter. Height compared to immediately surrounding terrain is what matters.

Some facts regarding this station:

4. I don't have the capacity to erect a full size radiator on this band
although I am curious about the Titanix 160 vertical, what it is and is it
worth looking into ?

There is little to be gained going from 60-70 feet to full height, but you probably could gain some with a change from what you have now to something a bit higher since you are ground system limited. The major problem you have, unless you have other things around the antenna soaking up RF, is lack of a reasonable ground system.

5. I have read a lot about the K9AY RX loop. I have room for is antenna but
before I construct one, what are your opinions ?

All antennas like that, including Flag's and so on, function as short two-element phased verticals. Any of them will work almost as well as any other for the same effective size. You would get the most effective size from something with the widest spaced and most vertical sides, since the vertical slope of side lenegth is what actually forms the "business part" of the element.

6. I also read about a 225 foot beverage run close to the ground as a RX
ant. How does this compare to the K9AY loop ?

It could work better. It might not. Try one.

The key in limited real estate receiving is to experiment, and especially to not do something wrong when experimenting.

7. What is the best "short 160 vertical configuration" that has the best
performance for working DX ?

An inverted L is fine, but you really need to fill that area with ground system.

8. You will notice I mentioned that I only run a single ground radial on
each band. Would adding lets say 3 more
Make the difference between night and day for TX or RX ?

Anything will help, but that is still a poor ground system. Since you have a multiple-band vertical antenna that requires a single common ground point, you are probably going to have to buckle up and do a little extraordinary work. There isn't any good choice in a multiband situation, other than using as many wires in or on the ground as straight and long as possible in all directions possible. The wires do not need to be over 1/4 wave long on the lowest band. An alternative would be a large conductive screen, but that is usually even more problematic if it is to last a long time and be reliable.

If I were in your shoes, I'd install some short phased verticals of some type and fill my back yard with buried radials. No matter what you read or hear, the notion or sales pitch that one or two radials per band is enough..... is wrong. You probably have a terrible ground on all or most bands. Fix them all. Fill the yard with as many of the longest, straightest, radials you can in as many directions as you can, and tie in any large metal fences, posts, plumbing, and other potential grounds as you can. That's the only proper way to do multiple bands.

73 Tom
Topband Reflector