Re: Topband: Need help to improve DX on 1/2 acre lot from CA

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Need help to improve DX on 1/2 acre lot from CA
From: <k7xq@elite.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 22:37:35 -0800
Hello All,
I got several replies on my situation and really appreciate it. Just about
every reply starting with adding more ground radials. I am having a hard
time believing That simply adding ground radials will cause the signals to
pop up out of the noise but Since I do not have any experience in this area,
I will not argue with the experts So I will continue with a few more
questions. I know for certain that it will improve the TX side though.

BTW, I also want to mention that I live on the west coast. It is very
difficult to work into EU from here and I am sitting in a RF hole ( central
valley ) so I have virtually no high elevation or high desert to help my
situation. This is also a big problem on 6 meters so working EME on this
band solves that problem. The one good thing going for me is that I live
In a relatively quiet location on most bands.

Some replies mentioned that the radials don't necessarily have to be full
1/4 wavelength long. If this is the case, what is the smallest length that I
can use to be effective ?

The next challenges is laying down the multiple radials. One reply mentioned
I can use less radials If they are elevated to about 10 feet. Any further
comments and experiences on this ?

One reply mentioned using a top loaded vertical ( short vertical using
multiple horizontal Radials at the top ? ) How many operators use these and
what were the results ?

I don't know how long the band will be active until the band dies for the
season so I am not sure
How much longer I have to make these improvements.

The challenge continues....

Jeff K7XQ
Atwater, CA.
K7XQ website: http://users.elite.net/k7xq/k7xq.html