Re: Topband: Covered /bare antennn wire

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Covered /bare antennn wire
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 20:47:01 -0500

From my own exhaustive research and many lab experiments with HV corona
discharge, it seems to me that at least some of this could be eliminated by
either:

1. Eliminating all the sharp points
2. Properly covering all the sharp points with suitable insulation such as
heat shrink or vinyl caps.

You just might have nailed it Mike, congratulations.

In order to keep the vibration damping ropes in place the yagi element ends have Caplugs and/or a couple of wraps of Scotch 88, I did not do that with the KLM 40M which finally was removed to be fodder for a HB 2/2 Cushcraft/Leeson clone.

Carl
KM1H