Re: Topband: RX splitter - ground common or not?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: RX splitter - ground common or not?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:15:28 -0700
On 10/17/2012 6:58 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:
Use beads over an unbroken shield.

The only thing I disagree with about Tom's advice is that, with the exception of a VERY large string of #73 beads (at least 100 beads), beads are useless on HF, and even those are not very useful at 2 MHz. Where Tom recommends beads I would instead use either 1) a transformer having VERY low inter-winding capacitance, or 2) a common mode choke formed by winding at least 16 turns of the coax around a #31 core.

73, Jim K9YC
Remember the PreStew coming on October 20th.  http://www.kkn.net/stew for more
info.