Re: Topband: Short radials?

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Short radials?
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:31:16 -0400
Perhaps that RCA material would have some additional data that did not
pertain to the direct purpose of the study, or some other stuff, like
where exactly were the measurements done, all the stuff that we would
be interested in, but were subject to an editor's axe for the sake of
length, etc.  It would really be worth it to get hands on that. Gads,
perhaps even the original data.

The principals were RCA employees.  The commission was an attempt to
encourage entrepreneurs to build more radio stations, and as the upper
reaches of BC band were not really in play yet, tower expense was a
killer discouragement. Therefore all the attention to good signals
from shorter towers over well-done and extensive radial fields. RCA
had every reason to put that information in the public domain.
American capitalism at its best, encourage more broadcast stations so
RCA could sell more radios.  Did they ever  :>)

The address in my original question was the actual site of the
measurements, rather than where the paper is located, but both are
very interesting for their own reasons.

73, Guy.

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com> wrote:
>> Original papers would be a rather valuable document :>).  Or were you
>> referring to an earlier paper copy of the document from the IEEE, now
>> available on PDF from their online library.
>

> I believe the documentation I have is an internal copy from RCA, who I think
> originally commissioned the study. It's been years since I've seen it, but
> I'm pretty sure I know what building it is in.
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK