Re: Topband: Short radials?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Short radials?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 08:44:51 -0700
On 9/27/2012 8:29 AM, lmlangenfeld tds.net wrote:
I could sure use some feedback based on real-world experience.*

All the published research on the topic, both computed and measured, shows that the differences between one radial layout and another are small -- on the order of a dB or two. "Real world experience" is meaningless for establishing differences this small -- propagation often causes signal strength differences of 20 dB or more.

A very general guideline, based on what looks like solid research, is that radials should not be longer than the vertical height of the antenna, and that if we wish to improve your radial system, we should use more radials, not longer ones.

Some of the best work I've seen on this is by Rudy Severns, N6LF. Rudy has done extensive, careful measurements with various radial systems, following them up with extensive study and modeling to understand his results. google to find his website, then study his work. Rudy is also exceptionally good at explaining his results.

73, Jim K9YC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK