Re: Topband: Hi-Z vertical elements

To: herbs@vitelcom.net
Subject: Re: Topband: Hi-Z vertical elements
From: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 21:01:55 -0700
Gary,

Take a look at the Hi-Z web site, It shows how others have mounted their
verticals.

Mine is a variation of a couple of them. I drove a 4 ft ground rod (8ft'er
cut in half) with about 6" out of the ground. I then cut a full length slit
in a 12 inch piece of 1/2" EPVC, then pushed that into a 3/4" piece of
EPVC. This piece goes part way over the 5/8" ground rod and is eventually
held in place with a #10 Stainless steel (SS) bolt after cutting a hole
thru the EPVC and ground rod. I then slide this over a 18" piece of 1 1/4"
EPVC over the 3/4" of EPVC. This allows the 1" base tubing of my vertical
to slip into the top of this EPVC. I drilled a small tap hole into the PVC
and 1" tubing and screwed in a self tapping SS to hold it all together. Be
sure to keep about 1" separation between the ground rod and the bottom of
vertical tubing. The output of the base matching boxes attaches to this
screw. I use a hose clamp on the ground rod to attach the ground lead of
the base matching box.

I'm writing this up from memory and not 100% certain of all the dimensions.
I have photos that I can send if you like.

Good luck with your project.

Ray,
N6VR

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net> wrote:

> Use Fiberglass mast from DXE or even the military surplus interlocking
> tent poles that are available on e Bay for next for nothing.  Plus the
> vendors usually send them in a  heavy duty canvas duffel bag which is worth
> the price without the fiberglass poles.
>

> Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ
>

> On 9/18/2012 4:44 PM, Gary Smith wrote:
>
>> I have the Hi-Z 3 Element Triangular Array
>> and need to make something different than
>> what I made before. I earlier used 2" PVC
>> with a smaller diameter PVC section on top
>> and I ran the wire inside. This worked
>> well last year but this year the top
>> element is like wet spaghetti and the tips
>> of all three elements are now pointing to
>> the ground. I need to make something that
>> will stay straight.
>>
>> Anyone make any of these and if they are
>> inexpensive to make and are durable, what
>> did you do to make them?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gary
>> KA1J