Re: Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 19:03:19 -0700
On 2012-09-15 4:29 AM, George, VK5IT wrote:
I do, however, suspect that because going digital is such an obvious answer
that there must already be some activity among devotees so I would be
interested in hearing what frequencies and what modes are used on 160 meters
and any comments.

73
George, VK5IT
Email: <mailto:vk5it@bigpond.com>

George,

There is a modest amount of activity on WSPR (another K1JT mode) at a USB dial frequency of 1.8366 (with modulated tones between 1400 and 1600 Hz above this).

Of course, WSPR is primarily a propagation sounding mode, and no QSLs are exchanged, but it's a good way to find out what's happening. Check out http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/map , select 160m and leave the call blank to see who is on and hearing each other. Or look at http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/activity for a text listing of stations active in the last 10 minutes.

My very modest station with an inefficient inverted L only 25 feet high, is copied by VK stations from time to time while running 5 to 50 watts from SoCal. There are also a number European stations active most days that sometimes get two-way spots to/from your area.

I normally run version 2.21 of WSPR, which allows frequency hopping. I have this set up for all bands from 160m to 10m (except 60m). I'm often surprised by what bands are open at odd times.

73, Terry N6RY

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK