Re: Topband: Spark gaps

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Spark gaps
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 16:29:15 -0400
> Man, I don't know, Dave. How long have they been selling those carbon
> balls
> for that purpose?

I've never seen a carbon ball in a lightning gap application. I'd have to
see a few after being in action a long time before trusting them.

Broadcast stations use hard metallic balls, as do electrical substations and
other applications where the peak voltage is near gap voltage. Polished
round gaps have more consistent breakdown.

If there is a great deal of headroom between operating and breakover
threshold, a pointed gap works OK.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK