Re: Topband: Spark gaps

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Spark gaps
From: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 08:35:13 -0600
Yes a direct hit should vaporize a spark plug. For a 100 kA hit two 1"
diameter rounded steel balls may survive.

Note that Ross Engineering uses carbon balls on their spark gaps.

At 50 kA/us every inch of wire will have a voltage drop of 500 to 1000
volts, so very short wires are in order. Wide copper straps having a
length-to-width ratio of 5:1 are good.

Dave WX7G
On Jul 27, 2012 8:09 AM, "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com> wrote:

> Has anyone looked at, or looked for, cheap electric fence gaps??
>
> My system copper pipes near tower legs work great for me on rigid towers, I
> can bend them so they spring away from the tower and then slide an inner
> pipe in or out to set gap distance. I'm thinking of gaps for wire antennas.
>
> Maybe something is good from some other application that is a good bit
> better than a spark plug.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK