Re: Topband: Fw: Choke Construction Info Needed

To: Bob Kupps <n6bk@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: Choke Construction Info Needed
From: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 06:24:32 -0600
I agree with Tom and Bob that the big, heavy choke is not needed. Even it
offers too much inductance to be an effective lightning path.

A spark gap is the thing to use across the choke or shorted 90 degree
feedline. It should have a weather cover and be set close but not too
close. See ROSS ENGINEERING for a picture of a spark gap. I've use 1/4"
carriage bolts for spark gaps at 1 kA. I would use a larger one for
protection against a direct lightning strike. Only 1% of strikes reach 100
kA but I think that's a good current to design to.

http://www.rossengineeringcorp.com/hv_spark_gap.htm

     Dave WX7G

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:53 PM, Bob Kupps <n6bk@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Phil
>
> I'm no expert but plan to use a quarter wave shorted stub of RG6 at the
> feed point of my verticals for static drain and harmonic reduction, along
> with a spark gap in the event of a close strike.
>
> 73 Bob

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK