Re: Topband: Beverage strain auto-disconnects

To: <donovanf@starpower.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage strain auto-disconnects
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 13:05:23 -0400
>A time domain reflectometer (TDR) allows you to check all major components
>(feedline, transformer antenna and termination) of your Beverage antenna
>from the comfort of your hamshack.
>
> 73
> Frank
> W3LPL

I do that with my MFJ-259. :-)

Sweep a wide range and look at peaks and nulls, or use distance to fault.
Dips repeat at 1/2 wave intervals. The firmware inside converts that to feet
on distance to fault. I can locate a cable break on 3000 foot cables within
a few feet.

Not only that, with a toroid to inject common mode signal from the 259 and
portable receiver with small loop, I can locate the cable under ground!!

It makes hours turn to minutes.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK