Re: Topband: Beverage strain auto-disconnects

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage strain auto-disconnects
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:59:45 -0400
> However, single wire Beverages are out. The only way I can have
> Beverages in more than a couple of directions (south, southwest, and
> west) is to make them reversible. All feeds have to be on the end
> that is on high ground so that leaves two-wire Beverages with a
> reflection transformer at the far end.

I see now.

> I settled on WD1A wire for ease of installation. BUT the stuff is a
> nightmare when it breaks! It is never a clean break, but rather a
> badly frayed section at least several inches long. Over time the
> Beverages quickly shorten from cutting out the bad section and
> splicing, requiring re-adjustment of the end points and/or splicing
> a new section in. Splicing the stuff is not fun with the steel
> strands, and splices must be COMPLETELY waterproofed or else the
> steel strands rust through and the wire becomes too weak. Not to
> mention the tinned copper strands seem to get "eaten" by the rust.

This is exactly the problem I have with Wireman stranded ~400 ohm ladder
line. After a few years, if water gets inside, conductors  rust through.

Heat from soldering also seems to remove the ultra thin copper layer over
the steel core. I suspect that wire is not copper clad, but some sort of
copper flash or plate.

 Anyway, I see now what you are doing.

> I will admit I haven't tried "window line". I should be able to
> install it with a level of aggravation somewhere between two
> separate wires and the WD1A I now have. But I imagine that stuff
> isn't the most fun to splice when it breaks either?

The solid wire stuff is, IMO, much easier to splice. Stranded has the same
problem you describe. It has to be watwerproofed, and heat removes the thin
copper "whatever" on each strand.

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK