Re: Topband: Beverage strain auto-disconnects

To: "N1BUG" <paul@n1bug.com>, "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage strain auto-disconnects
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 08:50:32 -0400
> My Beverages run through forest. Falling trees caused many wire
> breaks and high maintenance until I started using strain disconnects
> at all ends. I use a "fuse" link of #18 soft copper wire between the
> end insulator and the support pole/tree.

I use good end insulators, and bring the wire down from the end insulator
without a splice. The end insulators are anchored to things that the
Beverage cannot pull over.

I use at least a dual loop of wire on the insulator to the mounting tree or
pole.

Then the wire break does not hurt a thing. It always breaks the Beverage,
and the ends never pull on anything.

The life ending thing I have is rust on Beverage wires (when cad plated or
zinc steel) or lightning. Otherwise, just make a reasonable splice anywhere
it breaks. Good splices are easy no matter where they are at, except
electric fence wire does not like to be heated too much or it will damage
coating and promote rust.

I only get 4-6 years maximum out of steel electric fence wire, some batches
less.

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK