Re: Topband: Lightning makes antennas vanish

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Lightning makes antennas vanish
From: Joel Harrison <w5zn@w5zn.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 22:30:21 -0500
Hi Tom,

I have (unfortunately!) had this happen twice here where the Beverage wire
literally melted in two from a nearby tree hit. I've never had the wire
"vaporize" but definitely surprised by the "melted" burned ends where it
came apart. Needless to say, the Beverage and the feed end and terminating
resistor at the other did "vaporize" !!!!!

73 Joel W5ZN

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com> wrote:

> I've never experienced this before a year or so ago, when I had a Beverage
> antenna melt in two from a nearby tree getting hit.
>
> About a month ago I had about 300 feet of a Beverage just vanish from a hit
> on a tree next to the wire.
>
> Now it happened again this week, and long stretches of two Beverages just
> vanished. This is cad plated #17 electric fence wire.
>
> Anyone else have this happen? My copperweld #14, that clearly has arc
> pitting where it passed over other wires, shows no damage other than the
> arc
> pits. The cad-steel fence wire must get so hot it just vaporizes. I can't
> even find any pieces of it.
>
> Since the 1960's or 70's, this is the very first time I've seen this
> happen.
> Are thunderstorms more violent now, or is wire cheaper?  :-)
>
> I'm not fixing my antennas until October or November.
>
> 73 Tom

73 Joel W5ZN

www.w5zn.org
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK