Re: Topband: Lightning makes antennas vanish

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Lightning makes antennas vanish
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 09:47:33 -0400
On 2012-07-08, at 9:34 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:

> Anyone else have this happen? My copperweld #14, that clearly has arc
> pitting where it passed over other wires, shows no damage other than the arc
> pits. The cad-steel fence wire must get so hot it just vaporizes. I can't
> even find any pieces of it.
>
> Since the 1960's or 70's, this is the very first time I've seen this happen.
> Are thunderstorms more violent now, or is wire cheaper?  :-)

Hi Tom,

Are you sure you weren't the victim of "...copper nappers", possibly...?!

There was a report in a Toronto paper the other day where some cell tower used
by emergency forces of some kind in that city was knocked off the air for
several hours---thieves had snipped as much copper & wiring that they could
see, for re-sale to the scrap metal market...

That answers your last question, i.e. wire is NOT getting any "cheaper"---not
by that stretch of the imagination! Hi Hi

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK