Re: Topband: Lightning makes antennas vanish

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Lightning makes antennas vanish
From: <mikefurrey@att.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 09:11:42 -0500
The feed point of my inverted L was blown apart and the copper inside the
insulation (both the "L" and horizontal elevated radial) was reduced to a
black, brittle mess from a lightning strike and an adjacent neighbor's TV
was reduced to a melted pile of plastic. My antenna is suspended between a
couple of 80' pine trees on my small lot. There were (still visible) also
char marks on a tree that was used as a support for the elevated radial. The
radial was about 6" from the tree.

Mike WA5POK