Re: Topband: Fwd: radals fer 160m vertcal

To: <mikewate@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fwd: radals fer 160m vertcal
From: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 06:33:16 -0600
I'm fine with that notion (less is 'ok') but notice that is for radials at
ground level or slightly below.  Through the efforts of a fellow ham I now have
the model for my newest vertical antenna version (going up in about a month or
so) with elevated radials; base of the vertical will be at 5' above ground and
all of the radials will slope down to ground from that points. Any thoughts on
"slightly elevated radials" versus on top of the ground?  I'd think there be a
little advantage to elevating them some but..not certain of that. The length of
the radials will vary some due to topographical challenges....I'll have twenty
.2 wavelength radials running east and twenty .2 wavelength radials running
west.  The remainder will be twenty .1 wavelength radials running north and the
same number running south.  The vertical will be at least 43' tall - could get
close to 50' but not sure yet as I have taken the current one down, added the
three larger tubing sections to the bottom and then "re
 -sized" the taller sections - all in an effort to stiffen the upper section.
Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts - the modeling effort says I'll be at
-1dbi on 160 meters (progressively "better" gain on the higher bands, up
through 30 meters). I will have four 42' top loading wires angled down from the
top of the vertical at 45 degrees (a NORD configuration). 72, Jim Rodenkirch,
K9JWV

> Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 21:30:09 -0500
> From: mikewate@gmail.com
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: Topband: Fwd: radals fer 160m vertcal
>
> You don't need 120 radials. The optimum radial length is shown on the chart
> at
> http://www.w0btu.com/Optimum_number_of_ground_radials_vs_radial_length.html
>
> 73, Mike
> www.w0btu.com
>

> >  "Radio Antenna Engneerng" by EDMOUND LAPORT say's a system off 120 radial
> > wires spaced 3 degrees "AND HAVNG A LENGTH OF ABOUT ONE-HALF  WAVELENGTH",
> > approaches the conditon of a perfectly ...

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK