Re: Topband: Wellbrook receive loop performance

To: "wb6rse1@mac.com" <wb6rse1@mac.com>, Top Band List List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Wellbrook receive loop performance
From: Raoul Coetzee <raoulcoetzee@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 05:25:58 -0700 (PDT)
>I would not be too quick to dismiss small magnetic receiving loops from
consideration for DX work. I used a coax diamond loop, 5 feet on a side, on a
rotator at 20 feet, prior to trying larger wire >loops. The small
loop enabled many contacts in Europe from my West Coast city lot. The
signals were otherwise unreadable on my transmit vertical.

I agree Steve, I have no space for other 160m RX antennae, and I have tried
many other loops. My home brew three turn co-ax loop helped me get 160m DXCC
from a city lot about 1/4 wavelength
long and 1/8 wavelength wide (20m x 42m)
I don not say the loop is a good RX antenna, but it is useful and better than
no RX antenna.
At the moment I phase it with my TX antenna using an MFJ1026 and that
combination works for me.
73
Raoul, ZS1REC