Re: Topband: Wellbrook receive loop performance

To: BP Veal <bryonveal@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Wellbrook receive loop performance
From: W2PM <w2pm@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:23:05 -0400
A comparison of the Wellbrook product which is a magnetic loop is not a good
one to a AY loop or other low angle directive receive antenna.  Mag loops are
not "directive" in the same way they only have a very sharp null to two
opposite directions and omni directional vertically.  Nice for nulling strong
local point source noise but that's it. It will enable qsos not possible
otherwise and some DX I suppose but Wellbrook is not a good choice for any
serious DX work. No mag antenna is.

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 11, 2012, at 11:43, BP Veal <bryonveal@msn.com> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> This is a great topic as there are a lot of us on small lots active on
> topband needing what ever edge we can find.......
>
> Do you have this loop you've designed published where we can see it?  I know
> as a low power backyard set up with a MA160V, it would be interesting to
> look into.....we have an East/West oriented K9AY that has got back on 160M
> with an awesome receive.  It would be fun to play around with a loop but not
> sure which one to decide on- We still need 24 for DXCC on topband and we
> need every bit of help we can get!
>
> 73!
>
> Paul  N0AH
> Anna W0ANT