Re: Topband: July Stew Perry Please!!!!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: July Stew Perry Please!!!!
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 10:01:49 -0700
A couple of comments.

The June Stew is the weekend before field day.

There is activity from the IARU on 160 meters as multipliers count once per
band.  I remember having some fun there for the first 5 or 10 minutes of
the contest back when there was a bit more activity from the South
Pacific.  Also - quite easy to work a few JAs if they are around.  The east
coast guys can even work some of the HQ multipliers that we can't hear on
the west coast.  Maybe some dedicated activity hours?   Maybe like
0400-0800 UTC or something (which leaves out some people obviously).  Don't
expect to work KL7.

Think of the June Stew as an activity night.  No weekend is going to be
without conflicts - but maybe the die hard 160 types will show up and hand
out some QSOs.  Here are the results from last year:

http://web.jzap.com/k7rat/SummerStew2011.txt

The top QSO total was 94 QSOs.  Not a lot - but more than you would have
worked on most other evenings.  :-)  This was the first running of the
event - so hopefully, there will be a bit more activity the second time.

Tree N6TR
On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM, DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>wrote:

> I beleive there is the issue holding the June Stew on Field Day; there will
> not be many serious efforts on top band.
>
> Do we need four hour top band contests or an occasional QSO party?
> Something less formal than a full blown contest?
>
>       Dave WX7G
>
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On 3/18/2012 6:55 AM, Steve London wrote:
> > > Hence, my suggestion to make the already-popular, all-HF-band, SSB/CW,
> > IARU HF
> > > contest the summer 160 meter event.
> >
> > The problem with that approach is that no one attempting a serious
> > effort in IARU is going to be on 160M.
> >
> > 73, Jim K9YC
> > UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK