Re: Topband: QSL or CFM or R?

To: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: QSL or CFM or R?
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:02:06 -0500
My $0.02 worth:

A single R is sufficient if signals are strong and QRM is not a
major factor. In weak signal conditions RRR is more efficient than
QSL or CFM. There is a reason a long sequence of RRRRRRRRRR was
chosen for EME many years ago rather than a long string of QSLQSLQSL
or CFMCFMCFM. The less complex the message, the greater the chances
it will be received and understood. If a DX station on topband is
obviously struggling to copy me and asks if he has my call right I
will respond with RRRRRR as it has proven to be more effective than
anything else in conveying that indeed he does have it correct.

73,
Paul

On 12/13/2011 10:42 AM, Doug Renwick wrote:
> I prefer QSL or CFM over R or Roger.  In cw if a letter is missed, the
> missing letter can be 'filled in'.  With R, if parts are missed, the missed
> parts cannot be filled in.  The same with SSB, but not to the same extent.
> When I hear QSL or CFM it gives me a much higher level of confidence than R
> or Roger.
>
> Doug

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK