Re: Topband: 1/2 wave spacing vs. 1/4 wave

To: "Dr. Wolf Ostwald" <df2py@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: Topband: 1/2 wave spacing vs. 1/4 wave
From: W2XJ <w2xj@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 14:09:30 -0500
That would be a function of a number of things unrelated to array
topology. It could reflect difference in electrical tower height or how
the array is phased. A properly designed vertical array will always have
maximum vertical angle gain near zero degrees elevation. Theoretically
the maximum gain is at zero but in the real world ground conductivity
affects gain near zero degrees.  When I say 'properly designed' it is
not any reflection on any Ham's design. Vertical arrays can take a lot
of work and design effort when built for professional use which is
almost always broadcast. Another aspect of such an array is that they
only work correctly at one frequency. A half wave spaced broadside array
is probably the best for amateur use because the matching is very
simple, just two 90 degree lines fed in parallel. As the frequency
changes the pattern remains essentially the same except for some added
side lobes but the match at the feed point changes. A tuner solves this
problem and IMHO the feed lines should be open wire.  In line arrays
interact in a much more complex manner in part because of the closer
element spacing.

On 11/23/11 1:21 PM, Dr. Wolf Ostwald wrote:
> hi reflectees !
> I guess i was not specific enough. I was stating that my 2 el broadside
> array`s signal with 1/2 spacing must have lower angle of radiation than
> my 3 el  1/4 wave spacing in line array. The farther the shot, the more
> signal i get and produce with the 2el versus the 3 el in-line array.
> East coast is neck to neck, westcoast up to 3 db in favour of the 2 el
> half-wave spaced array in broadside config.
> Again. i am not talking forward gain at any angle of radiation, i am
> talking gain at a specific angle.
> 73 de wolf  df2py

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK