Topband: Bent "beverage"/loop/wire on near the ground ?

To: "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Bent "beverage"/loop/wire on near the ground ?
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 11:04:36 -0400
Hi Guy and Gals of the DC bands realm.

Using the word "Beverage" may be misleading....what about "low noise
antenna"  or loop, or low longwire?

I have 2 acres here, however the layout and placement of bev's would not be
great at all.
IE: I could get a bidirectional bev only 120' long, but it would be NW/SE
(good only for JA's and ZS6's maybe, hi !)

I could however, get something around "most" of the perimeter of my property
250'-360' long (2 or 3 sides of a square only---I couldn't do the full 4
sides due to the driveway...but I do have a culvert I could sneak a wire
UNDER the driveway......if I did that, I might be able to get close to 600'
loop, but it would only be up 4' in most places (fence posts) and under the
driveway for 20'-30 '............Anyone ever used a super low LOOP before?
Would it be a cloud burner?

Would it be of any use whatsoever?  Directivity would be poor to
nonexistent, but what about S/N ratio?

I noticed in the ARRL SS last week that my very very low ZS6BKW antenna
(basically a dipole) played extremely well on 80m CW (RX).....signals were
only down perhaps 1-2 S-units over my other low-ish dipole and the noise was
knocked down quite considerably !

Thanks

Mike VE9AA........currrently rebuilding most everything here.

Mike, Coreen & Corey Smith
699 Rte 616 Keswick Ridge
NB
Canada